10 Things to See and Do in Wendell, N.C.
- Stroll through Main Street and historic downtown Wendell, placed on the National Register of Historic Places, with homes and buildings displaying charming architecture. In downtown Wendell an array of local retailers, shops and eateries make for a great day out (plus, free Wi-Fi provided by the town makes it easy to explore).
- Kick back and unwind at Grounds Café on Fri. evenings with live music and great food, including signature grilled cheeses, wraps, salads, quesadillas and "bar bites" (Buffalo chicken nachos and stuffed sweet peppers, anyone?).
- Curious as to how spirits are made? Soon you can tour Oaklee Distilling Co., and they'll educate you on their in-house process (currently only open for special events and private parties). Housed in a beautifully-renovated building originally built in 1929, Oaklee mills, distills and bottles right in Wendell.
- Spend a perfect morning or an afternoon out on the golf course at Wendell Country Club, an 18-hole course that's open to the public and includes a fully-stocked pro shop, plus Divots Grill, open for breakfast and lunch seven days a week.
- Spend a nice afternoon (or an entire day) at Wendell Park. Get in a round of disc golf, allow the kids to explore the playground, let the four-legged friends frolic in the dog park, try your hand in a game of tennis, set up a picnic for the whole family plus a whole lot more.
- Step back in time and enjoy a leisurely day of canoeing, kayaking or fishing at Robertson Millpond Preserve. Soak in the sites of the historic mill dam and the bald cypress habitats.
- Saturdays are perfect for picking up fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmers at the Wendell Farmer's Market. Also get delicious, local jam, jelly, bread and more to treat your friends to back at home.
- Drive through the the local-favorite Wendell Wonderland, featuring Lake Myra Christmas Lights holiday decorations and other lights displays throughout downtown Wendell. Also, the Wendell Historical Society puts on the town's Fourth of July celebration, a great opportunity to experience Wendell's charm, with a parade, free hot dogs and more. And mark your calendar for the Halloween Treat Trail (did somebody say, "hay rides?").
Fact: kids love big trucks. When you're in town, take them to Big Truck Day (June) to see and sit in fire trucks, bulldozers and more (great photo opportunities!). Spring Fling (May) is perfect for enjoying Carolina weather with an art walk, Corvette and classic car show, live music and more. Harvest Festival (Oct.) includes a parade, a pumpkin derby, antique tractor show, games and inflatables, a craft beer garden and other fun, fall-themed activities.
- Celebrate a variety of cultures and their cuisines during the International Food and Music Festival on the third Sat. in Sept., featuring authentic foods from many countries: Dominican Republic rice chicken, Ecuadoran fried plantains, Filipino Manila Bay barbecue, Polish pierogies and Salvadoran pupusas, to name just a few, as well as homemade desserts. Sounds like a "can't miss," huh, foodies?
Photo credits: Grounds Café and Wendell Farmer's Market photos, @groundscafe; Oaklee Distilling Co., @oakleedistilling; Robertson Millpond Preserve, @beth_peele_realty; Big Truck Day, @frankie.sheffield